Acid Reflux Cure and Symptoms
Living with acid reflux, commonly known as heartburn, can be excruciatingly painful. It can stop you from doing daily activities like sleep, enjoy a meal, and have a productive workday. Although there are many triggers that can cause heartburn, the common ones are smoking, certain types of foods and beverages, and eating larger meals.
Acid reflux occurs when you have a backflow of stomach acid that splashes up into the esophagus. This can happen for several reasons, but the main one is that the lower esophageal sphincter muscle (LES) is not doing its job by preventing the acid from staying in the stomach. If the problem is occurring because of the lower esophageal sphincter muscle, it will be because it has been weakened or damaged.
Before we look at an acid reflux cure, lets look at the root cause.
Acid Reflux Foods to Avoid
Foods and beverages tend to be a common trigger for many people, however, the types of foods and beverages will change from person to person. The ones that have been noted as being the worst triggers for individuals are the following.
• Dairy: items like milkshakes, ice cream, cottage cheese, and sour cream.
• Beverages: namely alcohol, wine, tea, and coffee drinks.
• Grains: any type of pasta with marinara sauce (tomato based sauce), macaroni and cheese.
• Fruits and Veggies: mostly fruits that are extremely acidic like orange juice, lemon juice, lemonade, grapefruit juice, tomato juice, and cranberry juice. Also think full natural fruit like limes, lemons, pineapple, grapefruit, and oranges. With regards to vegetables, this could be potatoes, french fries, raw onions, salsa, and potato salad.
• Fats and Oils: any type of fried or fatty foods. Examples of these would be doughnuts, cookies, potato chips, full-fat dairy products, bacon, ham, fatty cuts of beef, lamb, pork, gravies, and cheese products.
• Sweets: mainly chocolate as it is known to relax the lower esophageal sphincter muscle.
• Meats: items like chicken, beef, and fish tend to be very acidic in nature. Red meat is extremely detrimental to those who suffer from acid reflux because it is high in fat.
You will also want to avoid carbonated drinks as they cause air to get trapped in your stomach which lowers the pressure on your esophageal sphincter muscle, spicy foods because they can be aggravating, and any type of caffeine product because it increases the frequency at which you can experience acid reflux.
Some people have noted that anything mint flavoured like breath mints and gum, will also trigger symptoms.
Symptoms Acid Reflux
The main thing you want to look out for is a burning sensation in your chest or stomach. This will often be paired with:
- Sore throat
- Dry cough
- Difficulty swallowing, or a lump in your throat
Acid Reflux Cure
If you are experiencing acid reflux, try consuming more dietary fiber. Also get your cholesterol checked out, and make sure that you are controlling your blood sugar levels.
Other ways to combat acid reflux include:
- Take antacids
- Chew gum that isn’t mint flavoured
- Avoid alcohol
- Stop smoking
- Eat small meals and do not over eat
- Remain upright for a minimum of two hours after eating
*This post contains affiliate links, where we maybe compensated.