Ashwagandha Benefits, Side Effects and Everything Else You Need to Know
Ashwagandha Root, known by its scientific name as the Withania somnifera, is a popular herb used in Ayurvedic medicine. Belonging to the Solanaceae or nightshade family of plants. It’s often known as Indian ginseng, a adaptogenic herb.
Adaptogenic herbs are unique in that when consumed, they adapt their function uniquely to what your body needs. It is incredibly popular because of the support it provides your adrenal system. Which is the main regulatory body of your hormones, as well as your neurological and reproductive systems.
The herb is used to enhance stamina, increase vitality and strength, boost the immune system. It also works incredibly well as a natural stress reliever, prescribed for mood disorders. These prevent degenerative diseases and lower emotional distress.
What Are The Health Benefits of Ashwagandha Root?
- It Relieves Adrenal Fatigue: The adrenal glands are part of the endocrine system which is responsible for releasing hormones like cortisol (stress) and adrenaline. When you are in a constant state of stress or anxiety, your glands can actually become fatigued. This reduces how efficient they are at producing and releasing the hormones needed to combat your stressful states. Commonly known as adrenal fatigue. Which can cause infertility, disrupt hormones, and even reduce the strength of your body.
- It Boosts Thyroid Function: A study done in the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine showcases that Ashwagandha may be useful for those who have overactive and under-active thyroids. The herb when studied, helped boost both TSH and T4, the serum thyroid stimulating hormone and thyroxine. Helping regulate and normalize thyroid levels.
- It Combats Stress: This is one of the bigger benefits as it can help combat stress. Even at a comparable rate as pharmaceutical drugs without the side effects. According to a 12-week study done on a control group. The anxiety scores decreased by fifty-five percent with improvements in many areas.Including social functioning, mental well-being, vitality, and fatigue. All this without the side effects of insomnia, drowsiness, increased appetite or a loss of libido. This is huge for people who are showing signs of depression. As lowering stress levels may reduce how severe one’s depression develops.
- It Can Balance Blood Sugar Levels: With powerful anti-diabetic effects, it inhibits fructose-induced increases of glucose. It inhibits insulin resistance and can even reduce inflammation. It also possesses hypoglycemic properties which can help achieve normal blood sugar levels because of the presence of phenolic compounds.
- Boosts Immune Function: Found to boost your immune system by reducing how much inflammation occurs within the body. It does this by increasing the immunoglobulin production which is a critical function of the immune system.
Other Ashwagandha Benefits
Other than the above, ashwagandha benefits can increase stamina and endurance. Also reduce brain cell degeneration and improve memory, and also help increase muscle strength.
With regards to the dosage, you should take, start out with 300 to 500 milligrams per day and slowly increase the dosage as you go.
Ashwagandha Side Effects
The side effects of the herb, you may experience an upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting. For those who use diabetes medication, blood pressure medication, and medication that suppresses the immune system should not use Ashwagandha without consulting a doctor.
If you take any type of sedative medications or thyroid medications, also consult a healthcare practitioner before consumption.
*This post contains affiliate links, where we maybe compensated.