Colloidal Silver: Health Benefits and Dangers
If you have been shopping around for alternative therapies for common ailments, such as the common cold or the sinus infection, you may have come across colloidal silver. Known as a “cure all” for many diseases. Colloidal silver is a mineral, often taken as a dietary supplement. In excessive doses, can cause irreversible health problems. Seizures, kidney damage, and argyria, which is when the skin becomes a discoloured blue-grey. When looking at the list of diseases that colloidal silver claims to help, that list is long. These include scarlet fever, Lyme disease, Bubonic plague, Syphilis, parasites, stomach ulcers, bronchitis, and skin conditions like rosacea, and eczema. With this said, it is important to be aware of both the health benefits and dangers that colloidal silver poses.
Science-Based Health Benefits
Silver is a non-essential metal for our bodies but can be accumulated in the body at a higher rate than other metals like lead and mercury before it becomes poisonous. Studies have suggested that colloidal silver has been effective at killing off and inhibiting the growth of certain types of bacteria (Morrill, et al. 2013). Studies suggest that the silver is effective at:
• preventing viruses from entering the cells,
• killing off strains of pathogenic yeasts (Candida, Cryptococcus),
• high toxicity to cancer cells,
• reducing inflammation of skin rashes from chemical exposure
• effective at fighting off Vibrio Cholera which is an E. Coli strain.
In addition, colloidal silver has the following proven health benefits.
• Antibacterial. Very effective at eliminating bacterial infections and is resistant to bacteria. Ensuring that bacteria, when exposed to it, does not mutate to become stronger. This makes it a long-term antibiotic solution for treatment.
• Stimulates the healing of the skin. Is used in combination with other solutions to help with thrush, eczema, psoriasis, and even burns.
• Can help with pink eye and ear infections. Colloidal silver is effective against fungus and other bacterial infections, it can help your body fight against pink eye.
• Anti-inflammatory. Natural inflammatory that can help reduce swelling rather quickly. Helping repair skin, irritated by inflammation symptoms.
• Antiviral. It is a known antiviral which can help those who suffer from pneumonia, herpes, warts, and shingles.
• Can help with Sinusitis. It can come in a nasal spray form which kills off the Staph Aureus and the Pseudomonas Aeruginosa infections which are the cause of sinusitis and other allergies.
• Can help with the Flu. Colloidal silver is also known for its immune boosting benefits, reducing the time to recover from the common cold.
• Can help with Pneumonia. It can be ingested or inhaled to treat viral strains of pneumonia, resistant to antibiotics.
Dangers of Using Colloidal Silver
According to the Mayo Clinic, the main dangers of using colloidal silver is that it’s a non-essential mineral for the body. Thereby can be extremely toxic when too much builds up in the cells. It can cause cell death, kidney failure, argyria, and neurological issues such as seizures. It will also interact negatively with medications like penicillamine and thyroxine.
*This post contains affiliate links, where we maybe compensated. Full Disclosure here